Sunday, February 12, 2006

Removing Tongue from Cheek for a Moment

Let me preface this by stating that I am a born again struggling Christian. I have Christ as my comforter and my savior, and nothing will ever shake that faith. However, I am still a fallen creature and struggle with sin on a daily basis. This struggle tends to manifest itself in laughing when I should probably be a trifle more solemn (among many other areas of struggle).

My post below that included the story of Deborah, I think, shows one of many roles God has for women. In her case, she was a leader, a prophet, a judge and a servant. She served God's people and went beyond the call of duty to assure that God's will would be done. I find her to be a model of grace and strength and a fine example of a Godly woman.

I realize that many read 1 Corinthians 14 and interpret it to mean that women are to remain silent and subservient in church (and elsewhere) and should never assume a leadership role. In the case of the Corinthians, Paul was attempting to restore order in a church that was struggling. If you read the Bible in its entirety while keeping the two great commandments in your heart and mind (love God and love your neighbor as yourself), I believe you will see that God does not see women as second class citizens. On the contrary, women are just as much a part of the kingdom of heaven. We are all (men and women) called to be servants to each other and to Christ. Even Paul exorted fellow believers to receive women and acknowledge their hard work for Christ (just read Romans 16).

As believers, I think we have a responsibility to God and Christ to read the entire Bible, cover to cover while bearing in mind Christ's message.

4 comments:

Mrs. Short Attention Span said...

Actually, what you see is what you get. I'm still figuring out what I want to do with this blog. So if you know what I'm doing, please share it with me.

Mrs. Short Attention Span said...

You mean put my faith in the humanity typical of what has been visiting this blog? The humanity that flings insults with reckless abandon?

The humanity that has polluted our planet to its knees? The humanity that wars with peoples for any reason and no reason? The shining examples of humanity that we see daily on the evening news?

Thank you, but no.

Mrs. Short Attention Span said...

(Big sigh) I know I shouldn't take the time to answer this, but here we go again.

There is a world of difference between blind faith and steadfast faith. I'm not a fan of blind faith. The good Lord gave us intellects and a quizzical spirit for good reason. Blind faith leads to mob mentality. Blind faith leads to mass suicides. Blind faith leads to crusaders. Blind faith in 'Christianity', in some of its more exotic forms even condoned cannibalism. None of these are good things. Steadfast faith, on the other hand, is strong and secure. Often, it comes only after difficult trials and tribulations. It questions leaders when they head down the wrong path.

Belief in God or no, it is humanity that has caused the pain and suffering on this planet.

I am well aware of how 'religion' has been used to sway the masses and to vindicate all kinds of excess and even heinous crimes historically speaking. This again, plays into my aversion to blind faith as opposed to steadfast faith.

I am also well aware that you find this even in today's political parties. Honestly, have you ever seen an elected official NOT use his/her political party to achieve separate agendas alien to the party's objectives?

Chasing The Moon said...

As Doctor of Life, I knew you were a fake from the beginning. I called you on it a few times and you always cast your stones back at me. You cast your web and drew me in. In your hatred I felt sorrow and had hoped I could show you otherwise.

For all I know, your a screwed up psychology major trying to interpret the world around you. In all reality I feel much better to know that the image you portrayed was a fake as I always belived it was.

I do belive in God. It saddens me when I read that people can believe in aliens, in ghosts, in demons, in damn near everything they can't see but they can't believe in God. If there was ever a thing, person, enity to believe in, for me it would be God, while I believe in all the above, I do in fact believe God rules. I belive there are consquences for our actions and those around us.

I believe we all will be judged. Not by one religion, one God, but rather one being greater then ourselves, purer then ourselves. One that does not cast stones, one that forgive ignorance and one that judges us individually as human beings and our actions. God bless you..... May you find what you are looking for through this blog and through your life....